Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Thirteen people I admire





Thirteen people I admire

1. Frederick II, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire
2. Leo Tolstoy, novelist
3. Kabir, mystic
4. Begum Akhtar, singer
5. Mira Nair, film director
6. César Vallejo, poet
7. Max Beckmann, painter
8. Waheeda Rehman, actress
9. Emiliano Zapata, revolutionary
10. Masaccio, painter
11. Hugo von Hofmannsthal, poet and playwright
12. Kamala Markandaya, writer
13. Friedrich Hölderlin, poet

This list is in random order and non-exclusive and includes persons that came to my mind as I was trying to think of people who or whose works mean a lot to me or who I think have been or are important in the history or cultural history of the planet in one way or another.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



12 comments:

Unknown said...

Tolstoy - very nice...You've put on a facade huh. So did I. Did you like my Chuck face? I'm not published yet, but I will be some day when my memoir is finished. Till then, I shall return hoping some day I see under the cover *wink* Thx for the visit. Happy TT masked man.

Nicholas said...

Very interesting list. The only one I have heard of is Zapata.

Welcome to TT.

Sandee said...

Very impressive list too. My favorite is Leo Tolstoy. Have a great TT. :)

Malcolm said...

Welcome to the Thursday Thirteen! I knew I recognized the name Mira Nair from somewhere. Mississippi Masala is one of my favorite films. Denzel Washington and Sarita Choudhury had great chemistry.

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for the links to the folks I don't know! You taught me something.

Joyismygoal said...

That is a lofty group can you imagine a dinner party w/ all of them

Natalie said...

Ok, I'm feeling a little dumb. I don't know who most of those people are. Gah!

Bloggers said...

Great list@!!

Tasina said...

What a great list. I love Mira Nair...I think she is one of the directors who is really changing the face of cinema - for women, people of color, and everyone.

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

I'm quite ignorant... Tolstoy is the only one I recognized. :(

SJ Reidhead said...

Welcome.

Very good list.

SJR
The Pink Flamingo
http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

World So Wide said...

Thanks, all of you, for visiting and commenting.

It would be an interesting party indeed, as joyismygoal suggests, to gather these widely varied folks.

Perhaps I should write a short play about it!

I did not intend to do name-dropping here.

True to its name, I was giving my blog a little worldsowide :)

Re Mira Nair: Yes, "Mississippi Masala" is also one of my favorites.

I can also recommend her latest, "The Namesake," a sensitive film based on the novel by Jhumpa Lahiri.