Saturday, February 23, 2008

A poem for Soni

A late entry for Totally Optional Prompts' request for a 'romantic poem.' I have a romantic streak (perhaps it's only sentimental – someone who should know told me there was no romantic bone in me), but usually write about other people in any love stories I write. Well, this one is all about me myself I and hopefully not too embarrassing.

For Soni

A lightning bolt of pure joy struck
as our eyes and then hands met
that evening at the puja.

It made me wonder for a split second
whether both of us had tied hands
with the wrong ones –
you with your scowling bumbling boyfriend,
I with my pretty preening wife.

Now my wife has left for good,
and your boyfriend did finally get a job
in far-away Cologne.

The image of your radiant dark face,
set off so beautifully by your thick white sweater,
the feel of your small, courageous hand in mine
have been alive in my mind for months.

And yet I do not call.
Could one intense moment I felt
mean something?
Were you struck like me?

Heated imagination, I tell myself, hogwash.
And might never know for sure.

– Leonard Blumfeld

5 comments:

Tumblewords: said...

Ah, such a well-written poem - love the yearning, the question and the full blown romantics.

Crafty Green Poet said...

very convincingly written, the questioning is real for anyone in that situation

Andy Sewina said...

It's amazing the difference a split secomd can make... love your blog, by the way!

Mimi said...

Now that's romantic. Well done.

I stopped by to tell you that....Your message bottle is now afloat in the vast blogosphere ocean. You are Message In a Bottle #42.
Feel free to toss in a bottle whenever you feel the urge to send a message. The blocean is always open.
Message In a Bottle #42

World So Wide said...

Thank you, tumblewords, crafty green poet, sweettalkingguy and wavy!