I went to see the doctor.
“What are your symptoms, Mr. ... Um?”
“For a while now I’ve found it hard to enjoy myself, to see the funny side of things. Whatever the news, things are always on the sad side. Global and personal.”
The doctor took out his stethoscope and started listening to my inner workings in various places. Finally stopped to follow up with palpitation. Sat there without saying anything for a minute.
“Doctor?”
“Mr. ... Um ... Blumfeld. Your funny bone is broken.”
“And what can be done about that? A cast?”
“Nothing whatsoever. It simply takes a lot of self-healing. And the realization that both sad and humorous things don’t depend on you. It’s all about what you make of them.”
“Thank you, doctor. I could have come to the same conclusion reading Deepak Chopra.”
“That will be 120 euros. The receptionist handles payments.”
– Leonard Blumfeld (© 2026)
Written for the prompt “down to the bone” at Poets and Storytellers United.
No comments:
Post a Comment