Monday, November 5, 2012

Feeding the birds at EUR lake

For S.

Last Saturday the women
of the Gugnani clan
and I as their chauffeur
went to EUR lake
to feed dry bread
and chocolate-coated
rice crispies to the birds –
droves of ducks, geese,
pigeons and seagulls.
I was reminded of my
mother and how, even
during her last days
at home, her first priority
in the morning was
to feed the birds, come
sunshine, ice or snow.
I remembered how
she'd walk out
on that terrace in
slippers and gown,
oblivious of everything
except the birds
and the seeds
she had for them.
I cried for her,
perhaps the first time
since she died in 2009.

– Leonard "Loaded with Memories" Blumfeld

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Shocking, isn't it, the creeping in of emotion through a crack of the mundane? And you take that sensation, that realization, and create art in words. Masterful.

Sabio Lantz said...

Very touching! You took me there -- great chauffeur!
Nicely done

aelfbee said...

Tears to water the garden of your soul.