Friday, April 11, 2008

I got me a fearless heart

For Sunday Scribblings' #106 – Fearless I'm posting the lyrics of a song by Steve Earle from his outstanding 1986 album Guitar Town. Steve Earle's turbulent life is told by music writer David McGee in his biography Steve Earle: Fearless Heart, Outlaw Poet (2005).

As an amusing aside it may be mentioned that Mr. Earle appears to be quite fearless in matters of the heart not only in song but in real life as well, having been married a total of seven times...

Fearless Heart

Don't you worry bout what you've been told
Cause honey I ain't even close to cold
It's kinda soon to fall in love again
But sometimes the best that you can do is just jump back in
I got me a fearless heart
Strong enough to get you through the scary part
It's been broken many times before
A fearless heart just comes back for more

Folks'll tell you that I'm just no good
But I wouldn't hurt you honey if I could
I can't promise this'll work out right
But it would kill me darlin' if we didn't even try

I admit I fall in love a lot
But I nearly always give it my best shot
I know you must think I'm the reckless kind
But I want a lady with a fearless heart just like mine

– Steve Earle

5 comments:

Devil Mood said...

wow, a crazy one ;)

I like this part:
It's kinda soon to fall in love again
But sometimes the best that you can do is just jump back in


Makes me wonder if he's right...

Gemma Wiseman said...

This song is one piece of evidence I would use to prove that the meaning of fearless is very ambiguous.

Interesting post.

Gemma

gautami tripathy said...

Marrying 7 times is fearless indeed!

:D

shapely ghosts

World So Wide said...

devil mood: At least he's not letting things get him down

Gemma: Quite right - it is an ambiguous word. Sometimes it might equate with foolish ... but then again S.E. also sings "But it would kill me darlin' if we didn't even try," and that's a valid point, too, I think.

Gautami: Fearless or foolish? And how about Picasso? Liz Taylor?

Tumblewords: said...

I believe this! Nice post!