Monday, April 28, 2008

In the green zone

This is a green sticker for a German low emission zone. Such zones were decreed this March in several cities of Germany. Cars that do not have a sticker are not allowed in low emission zones, i.e. if you're caught without you get fined. There are green (da cleanest), yellow (not so good) and red (barely passable, mostly diesel engines) stickers. The sense or nonsense of this government measure is subject to heated discussion. Owners of older cars – who tend to be the less affluent – are pissed because they are forced to either invest in a particle filter (which is not even available for some makes) or to get another car. While their old polluter will continue polluting somewhere else where there are no low emission zones – most likely in an East European country. While the main polluter still remains the industry, etc., etc.

Another and the final contribution to Anna Carson's Project Green, which comes to an end with take nine.

8 comments:

Karen Coutu said...

Great shot! I like that I can see your reflection.

Carletta said...

I've scrolled down your blog to see who this mysterious writer and artist is in this secret life ;)
Many varied interests - I've enjoyed my visit.

Thanking for visiting my Project Green.

MaR said...

Very unique find!! perfect for the theme too, and oh, in Stuttgart!
Mine is posted here.

Anonymous said...

I can see how this would be a problem for some, but I admire Germany for trying to do something to help the environment. I'm wondering how they determined the zones and how often they change. It could be tough if they change as frequently as speed limits.

World So Wide said...

June: The zones will not change; they are usually the cities with the worst pollution - not necessarily even the biggest ones.

Stacey Olson said...

Great and original project green thanks for sharing

Anna said...

I am so glad you have enjoyed my Project Green! It definitely makes you see all sorts of things doesn't it?

Have a great week!

Chris said...

Thanks for your comments on my artwork. Love your site! It's good to see Germany is trying to clean up the environment. Although, with current US gas prices I'm beginning to be a little jealous of Europes 80 mpg deisel cars. Hope the US can get an electric car thats comparable soon.